Start Here – Welcome to Chinese-Breeze!
Hi and welcome to Chinese-Breeze. Whether you are new to Chinese language or are well into learning the language, our goal is to be an invaluable resource by sharing the best strategies and tools out there to help you fulfill your own goals for learning Chinese.
But perhaps we should start with an introduction. My name is Kevin and I started learning Chinese first in 2009 as a student at CU Boulder. After getting hooked on learning Chinese, I visited China in summers 2010 and 2011 through study abroad and later moved to Urumqi, Xinjiang in 2013 where I taught English for four years.
Throughout that time, becoming fluent in Chinese was always my #1 goal and I have tried endless language strategies to bring that goal to fruition. As I now consider myself a fluent speaker, my new goal is to help you succeed in learning Mandarin Chinese.
Enough about me. On this page, I’m going to walk you through all resources available to you on this website broken out by subject matter.
What You Need – Getting Started
Getting started learning Chinese will take lots of motivation on your part as well a solid game plan to ensure you fulfill your learning goals. The articles below will help you do both.
- Your roadmap for learning – Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Learning Chinese
- What are the best resources out there for learning Chinese?
- How long does it take to become fluent in Chinese?
- How to motivate yourself to start learning Chinese? – Coming soon!
- How to keep yourself accountable while learning Chinese? – Coming soon!
- Mandarin or Cantonese: What is the difference and which one should I study? – Coming soon!
What You Need – Improving Your Listening
Learning a foreign language starts with listening and it is something you can do everywhere! Though improving your listening is not as simple as putting on your headphones and pressing play on your mobile device. Stay tuned for detailed guides to help inform your personal listening strategy.
What You Need – Pronunciation and Speaking in Mandarin
Although Mandarin sounds extremely foreign at first,
- How to learn pinyin and nail down pronunciation? – Coming soon!
- What are tones and is learning them important?
- How can I practice speaking in my home country?
- How can I find a language partner to practice Chinese?
- What can you expect to learn from a personal online Chinese tutor?
What You Need – Reading and Writing in Chinese Characters
Learning to read and write in Chinese characters is arguably the hardest part of Chinese. But it is not impossible and it offers so much cultural insight into Chinese civilization. Use the guides below to help you get started:
- What is the most effective way to learn Chinese characters?
- How to learn to write in Chinese characters? – Coming soon!
- My personal method for memorizing Chinese vocabulary
- Top Tools for reading in Chinese